Thursday, August 20, 2009

The day of the Underdogs!

Well, I am loving this premier league. It's going to be a lot tougher than anything I've seen for some time. Game week 2 is finally over and the results are as follows:

Sunderland 1 - 3 Chelsea
Wigan 0 - 1 Wolves
Birmingham 1 - 0 Portsmouth
Burnley 1 - 0 Man Utd
Hull City 1 - 5 Tottenham
Liverpool 4 - 0 Stoke City

Firstly, Chelsea did not impress me when they conceded in the first half. I had fielded Ashley Cole and Mikel in my fantasy league and Cole came up with two bonus points but, I would have also liked to have the 4 for a clean sheet as well. Mikel, has lost his starting place now. I only bought him because he is only 5 million and the manager made the following quote on his deal extension:

"I have a lot of trust in Mikel, I think he can be the playmaker of this team. He is a young player, but has great quality, both technical and tactical. For the present and for the future he is a very important player for us. We are very happy he has signed a new contract and I hope that he stays at Chelsea for a lot of years."

Apparently, I now believe that it was only said to facilitate the deal and he was playing only in the first halves for the last two games. And now he will be confined to the bench.


Birmingham won over Pompy at home. I kind of predicted the result correctly before the match. Though it was only a late late goal, the win was deserving. Wolves and Burnley picked up wins against Wigan and Manchester United respectively. I have a feeling that MU's hopes of retaining the title might be all but over by the end of this month. An away game against Wigan, then the two tough fixtures at home against Arsenal and Manchester City might be the time when United fans go into a state of shock and Alex will be looking for answers from the transfer market. They might be fighting for Champion's League qualification from then on! But, lets not draw too many conclusions from the so little we have seen here. But, I would love the prospect of them trying to hang on to the Champion's league spot. (:P)


Liverpool won comfortably at home to stoke city. While Defoe and Tottenham blasted Hull away 1-5. I will not be drawing too many conclusions here but, I think it would be very unlikely that, they would be maintaining this kind of form through out the season and will be a fiercely competing for the fourth spot.

That's it for now! 35 points from game-week 2. Not disappointed!
Cheers!

0 comments:

Search