Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Holi

Today is Holi. The festival of colors, celebrated all over India. Everyone is so exited. Everyone celebrates the festival with good spirits regardless of age, religion, etc. The main reason why the festival is famous is that people ‘play’ and enjoy with colors. It is celebrated quite differently in college. They dig up a pit in the ground; fill it with water and mix up the mud. What they do is, throw a person in the mud, and dip his face in the mud, almost making him unable to breathe. The poor guy struggles to breathe while in the mud hole and when he’s out, he does the same thing to his friends. Seeking Revenge?

Some call it enthusiasm. I do not think so. That I think isn’t fun. It is almost like a WWE ring of mud. It’s like a pig fight. People tear each other’s shirts like hooligans. As if the ‘fun’ they had is not enough, they target their friends who don’t want to get dirty and push them in. So, some people start to comment on the ones who don’t like what these people are doing. They think that they have reached a milestone/ great height by performing these acts of madness. I feel this because I haven’t seen Holi being celebrated in this kind of fashion while I as in Andhra. I don’t think that anyone has. It used to be mostly colors and occasionally eggs. This is totally different. The way in which I celebrate a festival is my will and wish. No one has the right or power to make me do the things that I do not want to. If you are having fun, go on. No one is going to stop you.

Happy Holi. Play Safe!

0 comments:

Search